The School Of Alberta Ballet Professional Division

International Student Support

The School of Alberta Ballet provides a number of support services to our international students, in order to ensure they are properly oriented and protected during their stay in Canada.

Language Support and Proficiency Assessment Policy

Instruction at the School is conducted in English. Through our International Student Services Coordinator (also known as our ESL Coordinator), the Language Proficiency Test Series will be administered to students whose first language is not English. Students not at an intermediate level of English are then advised to undertake formal ESL lessons either through a Languages Canada Accredited school or using a personal tutor.

Admissions Support

International students can receive assistance in enrolling at the school, study permit guidance and custodian arrangements, if required. Our Admissions team is here to assist all students with their entry into Canada, helping them to navigate the various immigration issues and departments required to have a successful experience in Canada. Students can also receive further information on the regulations and services for studying in Canada through

Alberta Designation Requirements

The School of Alberta Ballet is committed to complying with the Alberta Designation Requirements necessary for receiving and maintaining status as a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). DLI status is a compulsory requirement for all post-secondary programs admitting international students in Canada.

Health Insurance Policy

Students from outside Canada are required to carry health insurance. International students, however, may also be eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Program (AHCIP) coverage. Students need to complete the application for AHCIP coverage. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian. Students who have a 12 month Study Permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage. Students with Study Permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.  If the application is received within 3 months of entry into Alberta, coverage is effective on the date of either entry into Alberta or the date signed on the Study Permit, whichever is later.